Gender equity in STEM academic professions
The NSF ADVANCE program is funding the Joining Forces Midwestern Partnership of four research-intensive institutions that aims to:
- Increase retention of under-represented women minority faculty and women with familial responsibilities
- Increase satisfaction of all women STEM faculty
- Advocacy for systemic change to advance gender equity in STEM at midwestern research institutions
Science Education Research
Over the years I have initiated, led, and conducted numerous research projects. The projects I am currently involved in are listed below.
- Evaluation of assessment instruments in introductory-level geoscience education
- Retention of first-year STEM students
- Course-based Undergraduate Research Experiences for STEM students
- Game-based learning for sustainability education
- Gamification of large-enrollment introductory geoscience courses
Biostratigraphy and GeoInformatics
In the past I have been involved in research on speciation events of marine plankton and on the development of relational databases for Earth history research.