Our Theoretical Condensed Matter Research Group is based at the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Iowa State University, and embedded in the lively condensed matter research environment of Iowa State University and Ames Laboratory.
We investigate electronic properties of strongly correlated quantum materials with a focus on non-equilibrium dynamics. We employ a combination of analytical and numerical techniques from field-theory and statistical mechanics, and also develop NISQ quantum computing algorithms for many-body models. Our research is often performed in collaboration with experimental colleagues.
Publications & Preprints
5. M. Sohaib Alam, Noah F. Berthusen, Peter P. Orth
Quantum Logic Gate Synthesis as a Markov Decision Process
4. I-Chi Chen, Benjamin Burdick, Yongxin Yao, Peter P. Orth, Thomas Iadecola
Error-Mitigated Simulation of Quantum Many-Body Scars on Quantum Computers with Pulse-Level Control
3. Anirban Mukherjee, Noah F. Berthusen, João C. Getelina, Peter P. Orth, Yong-Xin Yao
Comparative study of adaptive variational quantum eigensolvers for multi-orbital impurity models
2. Y. Lee, R. Skomski, X. Wang, P. P. Orth, A. K. Pathak, B. N. Harmon, R. J. McQueeney, I. I. Mazin, Liqin Ke
Interplay between magnetism and band topology in Kagome magnets RMn6Sn
1. Andy C. Y. Li, M. Sohaib Alam, Thomas Iadecola, Ammar Jahin, Doga Murat Kurkcuoglu, Richard Li, Peter P. Orth, A. Barış Özgüler, Gabriel N. Perdue
Benchmarking variational quantum eigensolvers for the square-octagon-lattice Kitaev model
60. Ammar Jahin, Andy C. Y. Li, Thomas Iadecola, Peter P. Orth, Gabriel N. Perdue, Alexandru Macridin, M. Sohaib Alam, Norm M. Tubman
Fermionic approach to variational quantum simulation of Kitaev spin models
Phys. Rev. A 106, 022434 (2022).
59. Peter P. Orth, D. Phelan, J. Zhao, H. Zheng, J. F. Mitchell, C. Leighton, and Rafael M. Fernandes
Essential role of magnetic frustration in the phase diagrams of doped cobaltites
Phys. Rev. Materials 6, L071402 (2022).
58. Noah F. Berthusen, Thaís V. Trevisan, Thomas Iadecola, Peter P. Orth
Quantum dynamics simulations beyond the coherence time on noisy intermediate-scale quantum hardware by variational Trotter compression
Phys. Rev. Research 4, 023097 (2022).
57. E. H. Krenkel, M. A. Tanatar, M. Kończykowski, R. Grasset, E. I. Timmons, S. Ghimire, K. R. Joshi, Y. Lee, Liqin Ke, Shuzhang Chen, C. Petrovic, P. P. Orth, M. S. Scheurer, R. Prozorov
Possible unconventional pairing in (Ca,Sr)3(Ir,Rh)4Sn13 superconductors revealed by controlling disorder
Phys. Rev. B 105, 094521 (2022).
56. Victor Drouin-Touchette, Peter P. Orth, Piers Coleman, Premala Chandra, Tom C. Lubensky
Emergent Potts Order in a Coupled Hexatic-Nematic XY model
Phys. Rev. X 12, 011043 (2022).
55. Thaís V. Trevisan, Pablo Villar Arribi, Olle Heinonen, Robert-Jan Slager, Peter P. Orth
Bicircular light tuning of magnetic symmetry and topology in Dirac semimetal Cd3As
Phys. Rev. Lett. 128, 066602 (2022).