5. Montiel EE, Badenhorst D, Lee LS, Valenzuela N. 2022. Evolution and dosage compensation of nucleolar organizing regions (NORs) mediated by mobile elements in turtles with female (ZZ/ZW) but not with male (XX/XY) heterogamety. Journal of Evolutionary Biology. 35:1709–1720.
4. Lee LS, Navarro-Domínguez BM, Wu Z, Montiel EE, Badenhorst D, Bista B, Gessler TB, and Valenzuela N. 2020. Karyotypic evolution of sauropsid vertebrates illuminated by optical and physical mapping of the painted turtle and slider turtle genomes. Genes, 11, 928, doi:10.3390/genes11080928.
3. Lee LS, Montiel EE, and Valenzuela N. 2019. Discovery of putative XX/XY male heterogamety in Emydura subglobosa turtles exposes a novel trajectory of sex chromosome evolution in Emydura. Cytogenetic and Genome Research 158:160–169.
2. Lee LS, EE Montiel, BM Navarro-Domínguez, and N Valenzuela. 2019. Chromosomal rearrangements during turtle evolution altered the synteny of genes involved in vertebrate sex determination Cytogenetic and Genome Research 157:77-88.
1. Montiel EE, D Badenhorst, LS Lee, R Literman, V Trifonov, and N Valenzuela. 2016. Cytogenetic insights into the evolution of chromosomes and sex determination reveal striking homology of turtle sex chromosomes to amphibian autosomes. Cytogenetic and Genome Research 148:292-304.